Falling ill abroad

If you need urgent medical care while abroad, call the emergency number or go to the nearest hospital. The emergency number in all EU countries is 112.

You can obtain medically necessary treatment by presenting the European Health Insurance Card, when you are temporarily staying in another EU or EEA country or in Switzerland. Apply for the card from Kela.

Medically necessary treatment refers to treatment that cannot wait for your return home. Temporary residence usually refers to a stay of less than six months in the destination country for the purpose of, for example, a holiday or exchange studies. The need for treatment must emerge during the course of your stay.

In a country other than an EU or EEA country, Switzerland or Australia you have the right to urgent medical care. You will usually have to pay for the costs arising from your treatment yourself – therefore it is recommended that you take out private health insurance.