Moving to Finland

When you move to Finland, your entitlement to treatment is determined according to the purpose and duration of your residence. When deciding the length of your residence, Kela evaluates your situation as a whole.

If you move temporarily from an EU or EEA country, United Kingdom, Switzerland or Australia to Finland, you are entitled to medically necessary treatment within public health care. Persons moving temporarily from other countries are usually only entitled to urgent medical care. If you move to Finland permanently you are entitled to care in the same manner as locals.

Moving to Finland temporarily?

Public health care will offer urgent medical care if it is required during your temporary residence in Finland. If you have arrived from another EU or EEA country, United Kingdom, Switzerland or Australia, you can also receive other medically necessary treatment that cannot be postponed until you return home. You can also use the services of the Finnish private health care sector, in which case you will be liable for all treatment costs.

If you come to Finland temporarily and you do not study, work or receive a pension, read about you entitlement to care under Falling ill when travelling in Finland.

Moving to Finland permanently?

Everyone permanently residing in Finland is entitled to use public healthcare services. Those who live in Finland permanently usually have a municipality of residence. When you notify the Digital and Population Data Services Agency (DVV) of your permanent move to Finland, they decide on your municipality of residence and record it in the Population Information System. Your wellbeing services county will provide you the public healthcare services, but you are also free to choose services from outside your wellbeing services county.

If you do not have a municipality of residence or certificate of entitlement to medical care in Finland, public healthcare is entitled to charge you for the actual costs of treatment. In this case, the treatment costs may be considerably high. However, public health care may waive the recovery of the actual costs of treatment if you are clearly without means.

When moving to Finland permanently, do as follows:

  1. Submit a notification of move to the Digital and Population Data Services Agency (DVV) and also notify your move to your prior country of residence. Be sure to submit the notification in time, since the DVV cannot record your municipality of residence retroactively.
  2. If you have not previously applied for benefits or a Kela card and you have moved to Finland, submit a notification of move to Finland in addition to making the benefit or Kela card application.

Purpose of moving affects your rights to treatment

If you move to Finland as a student or researcher, employee or pensioner, it has an impact on your entitlement to treatment.

This website is part of the European Commission's Your Europe portal

Did you find what you were looking for?

Give feedback!

Have you encountered any obstacles when exercising your EU rights?

I want to report an obstacle
Your Europe