In emergencies call 112 to obtain help.

Healthcare system

The Romanian healthcare system is divided into public and private sectors. The public healthcare sector is managed and supervised by the Romanian Ministry of Health. Social health insurance is mandatory. The National Health Insurance House (CNAS) functions at national level and coordinates 43 health insurance houses.

Accessing care

You can obtain medically necessary treatment by presenting the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC), when you are temporarily staying in Romania. Medically necessary treatment refers to treatment that cannot wait for your return home. You may need such treatment in case of acute illness or accident. You can also receive treatment related to pregnancy and childbirth or to a chronic illness. The need for treatment must emerge during the course of your stay.

You will receive treatment on the same terms and at the same price as the locals. It is advisable to carry copies of your European Health Insurance Card with you, along with the card itself. If you didn’t have your EHIC with you or it was not accepted, and you were required to pay all the costs of treatment yourself, you might be able to apply for reimbursement from Kela retrospectively.

The availability and quality of public healthcare services vary in Romania. Doctors and hospital services are more available in the larger cities than in the countryside where services can be very limited.

Romania also has private healthcare services. You cannot receive reimbursement for their costs in Romania; instead, you are entirely responsible for the costs of the treatment.

Sudden illness


Make an appointment with a general practitioner or a specialist who has an agreement with CNAS. You can see a specialist after receiving a referral from a general practitioner. At the reception, show your European Health Insurance Card and your identity card. Services included in basic basket are free of charge, but a deductible will be charged for other services.


Dental care can be provided in the public sector or at private clinics. The dentists from which you can receive treatment must have an agreement with Health Insurance House. With these dentists, you can receive reimbursement for certain procedures, but most often you will need to pay for the treatment yourself. Dental care is provided free of charge for patients aged 18 or younger. Urgent medical care is free for everyone.


Show your European Health Insurance Card and identity card when collecting your prescribed medicines at a pharmacy in Romania. You must also present a prescription which was prescribed by a doctor authorized in an EU Member State where it was prescribed. The level of reimbursement varies from one medicine to another. Medicines are either completely free or partially reimbursed. Persons under the age of 18 and pregnant women receive certain medication free of charge.

Hospital treatment

A doctor’s referral is usually required for hospital care. In case of emergency, you can go straight to a hospital. Make sure that the hospital has an agreement with Health Insurance House. At the hospital, show your European Health Insurance Card and your identity card. You will need to pay a deductible for hospital care and specific services (such as laboratory tests and imaging services). If you require additional services at the hospital, such as a larger room, you will pay for the additional costs yourself.

Ambulance services are free of charge in Romania. Air ambulance services are granted only on Romanian territory and only in cases of extreme urgency with the prior approval particularly by SMURD or the Ministry of Health.

Read more about suddenly falling ill in Europe.

Read more about reimbursement of costs of treatment abroad.

Useful websites

If you wish to travel to Romania for the purpose of using healthcare services, you can find general information on our site concerning seeking treatment abroad. Some useful sources of information are also listed below. You should direct your questions about healthcare in Romania to the Romanian National Contact Point (Romanian health insurance institute Casa Nationala de Asigurări de Sănătate).

Quality and safety of treatment

In the event of treatment injuries, the legislation and patient insurance of the country providing the treatment is always applied. In case you are unhappy with the treatment you received, you should primarily try to sort the matter out with the healthcare provider. The national contact point can help you with finding the right authority if you wish to make a complaint.